Wednesday, August 12, 2009

1850's Day Dress

This 1850's Day Dress was my biggest independent project yet. The ensemble includes a corset, chemise, bloomers, two petticoats and the outer bodice and skirt (made from silk taffeta). All pieces of the outergarment were draped and the undergarments were made from time period accurate patterns, adjusted for fit (the piece was made to fit a classmate of mine). I hand smocked the front panel on the bodice and the skirt was also hand pleated. This was my senior project while attending the University of Kentucky. I began my project with research in November of 2005 and completed the project at the end of February 2006 (working on the project while attending school full time). After finishing my project I headed south to Orlando, FL for the Southeastern Theatre Conference where I competed in the Crafts and Technology Competition, winning 1st place in March of 2006.

2 comments:

  1. This dress is such an inspiration to me! The attention to detail is beyond anything I've seen. You truly deserved the prize you won!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I am just seeing this comment, but thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words!

    ReplyDelete